Four Electrical Issues That Everyone Should Take Seriously

Posted on: 26 September 2016

Residential electrical services are a convenience that many people take for granted. This can cause them to overlook what they may deem as minor electrical issues. If you incorrectly assess the seriousness of an electrical issue, you may end up with a minor inconvenience or serious consequences. Losing power in parts or all of your home are examples of minor inconveniences, and electrocution or electrical fires are examples of serious consequences. The following are examples of four issues that you may not realize need to be addressed by an electrician. 

Flickering Lights

Your lights may flicker intermittently due to simple issues such as a bulb needing to be replaced. However, if you notice this phenomenon in various areas of your home, it may be due to a poor connection. This is an issue that a professional will need to repair. Otherwise, the faulty connection will eventually become a broken connection, which means that you will be without power. 

Dead Outlets

Aged outlets may eventually stop working. Sometimes a portion of these dead outlets may continue to work. For example, the top outlet may work, but the bottom one may not. It is best not to use an outlet that has a dead portion, especially if the outlet appears to be tinged with black, which may be a sign of overheating or a fire risk. Sometimes what appears to be a dead outlet is a circuit breaker issue. You can check this by looking into the breaker box and determining if the breaker where the outlet is located has tripped. Resetting it should result in the outlet working again. 

Sparks from Outlets

You may have noticed sparks coming from an outlet if you have ever unplugged an appliance or electronic item without turning it off first. This type of spark incident can be considered as normal. It is abnormal for sparks to come from outlets on a regular basis. These wayward sparks may eventually cause fire risks because the nearby electrical wires may get burned during the process, and the insulation material around the outlet could also catch on fire. If you notice specific outlets that emit fire sparks, refrain from using them until they can be inspected. 

Short Bulb Life

Light bulb packages clearly display the estimated amount of hours that consumers can expect bulbs to last. Sometimes bulbs die prematurely due to consumers using the wrong wattage. Check the light fixture that you are using for wattage information. Choosing to use a high wattage bulb in a low wattage fixture may result in bulbs not lasting as long. Try using the wattage recommended on the fixture. If premature bulb blowouts persist, it is likely that they are being caused by electrical issues in your home. 

For more information,check it out here.

Share